Tuesday, April 7, 2009

who says?

This past weekend I was watching television where one of the t.v shows sparked something in my brain. The story took place in a high school. One senior, while applying to colleges was told that they were surprised that with a "backround like hers", her grades were so high. Who say's that a child growing up with a backround with there were many struggles can't achieve? It is expected, as i've seen that even some teachers believe, if you grow up in a certain area, with a certain income, you can't amount to anything. I would really like to know. Who says? What makes someone intelligent and hard working? Is it the street the grew up on? The type of building they live in? How much salary their parents make? None of this really matters. The drive and the determination someones has is based solely on themselves, and what they want in life. It doesnt depend on whats given to them, such as wealth. It depends on what they take for themselves, like the value of a great education. It worries me that even some adults can believe that someones backround is what effects them in sucess

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, a student's background does not determine their value of education. An intelligent student does not have to be the wealthiest or happen to live in the best neighborhood, on the contrary they have to be motivated and inspired to go to school to pursue an education. It's evident that wealthy students have more financial support and a myriad of opportunities to succeed but that does not mean they necessarily use those opportunities to their advantage. A student with a low income may not have all of the advantages and access to pursue an advanced education but they may have the drive and persistency that is required to make them successful. Studies show that in America, immigrant students achieve higher grades than the average American student because due to their prior struggles, they want to advance and live the American dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've brought up a great point and I also cant believe how some people would judge others based on background. The reason behind this is because most people do judge others based on not only their background but everything. Personally I feel that everywhere I look wether its our school or even on T.V there are allot of students with bad backgrounds getting very good grades. Like you said its all about who wants a better education more and who will strive for good grades. If you think about it not everyone in the field of education feels this way because of scholarships for all types of students. This gives the students with good grades a chance even with a background some might call questionable. I guess that's a way to cover up how they pick students by judging them. I am also really surprised by how some of the adults do this often, this could show a change of thinking in generations or just how ignorant some adults are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with you in theory, there should be some research here to make your argument stronger. We have discussed in our CN class that background does play a role in grades not because of intelligence but because of te ability to focus on schoolwork vs holding a parttime job to help out the family or babysit younger siblings. Is this aimed at me?

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete