Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Image
there are many positive things, that separate us humans from animals. Music, art, literature, dance, etc. can be some of them. ONE thing that also separates us is that image has become so important. I'm pretty sure you've all heard of the term "dont't judge a book by it's cover". That would make most of us hipocrates, because daily, we judge people by the way they look. Waking up in the morning, and preparing for our day we worry about what were going to look like. Should it really matter? I feel like if you're comfortable with the people that you are around, it shouldn't matter if you show up in pajamas, or in a ball gown. We can't really help it though, it's what the media feeds us. Think about the last time you picked up a tabloid and it didn't say 'IS SHE TOO THIN?" or "IS SHE TOO FAT?". They act as if it changes the person. I'm guilty of it also, i'm guilty of caring what I look like. The difference is, I do it because I feel like dressing up, not to impress anyone. I also believe that if people took as much time, looking within themselves, as they did to pick out clothes, everyone would get along and live together much nicer. Also they'll appreciate people for who they are, instead of judging them by the way that they appear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I do agree with a lot of things you said about how the word is so quick to judge people. Nowadays, people don't care how nice you are or how much of a "good person" you could actually be ; yet they just look on the image that is shown to the world. Eventually we all become hipocrates at some point in our lives because i could admit I sometimes judge people by the way they look; but don't we all? Whether it's dating somebody or becoming friends with somebody looks play a certain role. When you said should it really matter if people get prepared in the morning is when i disagree. People don't only dress up for attention; sometimes they dress up just to feel good about themselves. I know when I look nice I feel better about my day. The media plays a really big role because they always present "anerexia' as being in fashion when it's not even presentable. You're right, this world should start fixing itself up and appreciate people for who they are.
ReplyDeleteYour first few sentences remind me of Gregor from the metamorphosis. Your right, the fact that we can appreciate things like music and art are what truly makes us different from animals. We saw that Gregor was somewhat human but his family only looked at what was outside. Our society is the same way, people do judge others by how they look. Ill admit that I even turned doing this into a habit with strangers I don't know and probably will never know. For me though its more of a game on the bus or while I'm walking. I agree how bad it is to do this but this comes natural for most people. Unlike me though allot of people could take it to the extent where they actually believe what they judge about a person is true. People like this end up not giving any one a chance. I also agree with you about how we will live in a much better place if people just appreciate others for who they actually are.
ReplyDeleteYou have touched upon a prevalent issue in our society, but you did not go as deeply into it as I would have liked.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 3/4